Welcome to Communication Skills Guide
Technical Support Analyst Communication Skills Eff Article
For a permanent link to this article, or to bookmark it for further reading, click here.
Tips To Have Great Interpersonal Communication Skillsfrom: Marie Kearney Gordon - Guest Writer
One of the keys to success is in having great interpersonal communication skills. People with interpersonal communication skills have a higher chance to "make it" in the world today, the reason for this being that people have finally realized the importance of having the right connections in business.
Interpersonal communication skills are not inborn, although some people are born with characteristics that seem to naturally attract people to communicate with them. However, interpersonal communication skills can be nurtured in order to be more effective.
So how best should you develop your interpersonal communication skills!
1) Accept your imperfections – The biggest obstacle to improvement is ego, and accordingly, people who think that there is nothing wrong with their interpersonal communication skills, would naturally be unlikely to take any steps to improve them. In order to develop your interpersonal communication skills therefore, you need to realize the fact that they do actually need development. If there is one thing that man should seek in life, it is improvement!
2) Try to understand – Understanding is the key to having great interpersonal communication skills,and if you do learn how to understand others, you will be able to realize the fact that communication is really not that hard. It is all about putting yourself in the shoes of the other party, and trying to understand the situation from their point of view.
Although no one can really claim to be able to understand another person completely, making an effort to do so will really get you much closer to them.
3) Do not just hear, Listen – People have trouble distinguishing hearing from listening, and ny means of clarifying that example, listening is active, while hearing is passive as it were.
People cannot consciously control their ability to hear, but what they can control is their ability to focus, and listening is composed of focusing your hearing on a conversation. When you are trying to communicate therfore, you cannot just stop at hearing what the other party has to say, you should be able to understand what you are hearing as well.
4) Think before you talk – There are so many people today who speak a lot of words but fail to really say anything, and the so called foot in the mouth attitude is slowly spreading throughout our culture, and in order to prevent this, think hard about the repercussions of what you are proposing to say.
Remember that people who can make themselves understood with just one word, actually appear smarter than people who talk with the oral equivalent of an encyclopedia.
5) Think before you act – Learning about the various aspects of non verbal communication, is just as important as knowing when to talk. Some people can express the equivalent of whole sentences, with just a gesture or a facial expression, and in order for you to improve your interpersonal communication skills, you should also pay close attention to your non verbal communication abilities.
People may think that non verbal communication does not really happen at a conscious level, but you can learn how to control them. Let us take facial features, for example, as people have been neutralizing their facial expressions for a verylong time, and hence, we have things such as the poker face.
So do not be rash with your actions, and think things through before you speak or act!
6) Practice – The best way to improve your interpersonal communication skills is to use them as often as you can, and in order to learn how much progress you have made, and how much you still have to go, you need to use those skills everyday!
So if people actually use their interpersonal communication skills on a daily basis, what this tip actually means is that you should try to improve daily.
Remember that your goal should always be to strive to become better.